Sunday, May 4, 2014

Woman Claims She’s the Virgin Mary’s Cousin 65 Times Removed

Oh, you know I can't resist this one. This sorta thing falls along the same lines as the "I have traced my genealogy back to Adams and Eve" type of claim.

From Dick Eastman's April 18 newsletter: Woman Claims She’s the Virgin Mary’s Cousin 65 Times Removed

"A Pennsylvania woman claims she is the 64th great-granddaughter of Saint Joseph Ben Matthat Arimathaea, who was the paternal uncle to the Virgin Mary. Ashlie Hardway of WTAE Television reports that Mary Beth Webb, of Murrysville, Pennsylvania, said she began searching her ancestry in 2010 after years of “communicating” with her deceased mother, father and brother. While doing the research on ancestry.com over a two-year period, Webb discovered the connection to Saint Joseph."

Dick wouldn't offer any opinion about the accuracy of this article, but I certainly will. Here is another case of a name, date and place collector. She just got started in 2010 doing genealogy on Ancestry.com (can you say a trees only researcher), is certainly is NOT a real genealogist, and I would love to see her source citations. Oh my, I sure hope she and me are not DNA matches!

Bottom line, this is just another example of some of the poor research being done under the umbrella of genealogy within many of the trees posted at Ancestry.com and yes, even FamilySearch.

But heck you can decide for yourself after reading the article and watching the video at http://goo.gl/rXQbdr.