Friday, March 7, 2014

Last Chance for DNA Class Signup

Just a quick note here to remind you folks who are local that time is running out to sign up for our Genetic Genealogy DNA 101 class that starts Tuesday evening, March 11 at 6:30 p.m. in Enloe Building room 133 on the Tri-County Community College Peachtree campus. Cost is reasonable -- $15 for a four week class.

One of the things that has amazed me with my autosomal DNA test is the amount of pedigree collapse I have seen in my own results that has resulted in much deeper matches than one would expect. Since I have had my dad tested and this is where my Virginia lines are the longest and most tangled, I am getting many lines proven thanks to this phenomena of pedigree collapse.

Pedigree collapse and DNA testing are just one of the areas I will be covering in my class next week.

I have also been looking at my double Clark ancestor lines back to Michael Clark (b. ca 1620 in England and died 1678 in Barbados) who married Margaret from England. This has resulted in many deep matches for my dad and I in our autosomal DNA test results thanks to pedigree collapse. I'm also really interested in the grandfather of Michael, John Clark, who some say was the Master Mate and Pilot on the ship who brought the pilgrims into Massachusetts and died in Jamestown in 1623 during an Indian attack. he would have been hanging around my other two Jamestown ancestors Nicholas Martiau and William Cole. But that is something that needs a lot more research work before I can get things firmed up.

Again hope to see you folks Tuesday night.