Sunday, November 20, 2011

Ancestry Beta Testing a New Viewer

For the students who just finished taking my Internet and Genealogy class this last semester, "I told you so." I told them during the class that some time after the class concluded (this last week) and the end of the year, Ancestry.com would make a major change to their site. It happens everytime I teach this class.

So imagine my shock (NOT!) when I got a notice from the Genealogy Insider blog via the FTM newsletter that Ancestry is now Beta testing a new image viewer.

The interface is similar to the previous viewer, with some new and improved features:

Faster image loading.

Works on more platforms and with more browsers than the previous image viewer, including Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. Web browser issues were preventing a large portion of Ancestry.com members from using the previous image viewer.

New tools, including rotating an image (handy for census returns with the address written along the side of the page), mirror (flips your record over so you're reading it backward, which I've heard can help with hard-to-read records), and new zoom controls.

Easy installation. Most people won't have to install anything (I didn't), though you might need to install a more recent version of the free Adobe Flash Player.

You can learn more about this by clicking here.